The Real Deal. Wisdom Teeth Surgery. My first Operation.

6:42 PM claire 3 Comments

My first operation, my first surgery. To many it wasn't painful, it wasn't a big event, but if it's a first for me, its gotta be huge :P Contains some pictures.

Made my way down this morning, was super hungry because you can't eat or drink anything six hours before the surgery (to prevent puking I suppose) and was met with great service. Was ushered into the room, staff was polite all the way, helpful, being like little mums taking great care of you. They actually made me feel more at ease.

**GRUESOME-ish pictures ahead! And unglam ones.

The first nurse took my temperature, took my weight (I gained weight omg I hope I lose weight from this), gave me some forms to sign, etc. Then another doctor brought me to a room with the x-ray of my teeth and reminded me of the procedures and what was to happen.

So I was a little nervous. Or quite a lot.

The Doctor warned me that, due to my lower teeth being near the nerves, I might experience numbness in my jaw, chin and tongue. He also warned me that, because I was removing the top teeth too, that I might get a sinus infection and that there might be a hole which would cause water to go to my nose.

He also told me that a tube was to be inserted through my nose into my throat. Which might lead to a sore throat (and phlegm). This tube goes down my throat into the main airway so that I can inhale the anesthesia. Normally it's via mouth but because it's a dental surgery so it's placed through my nose.

Wouldn't that scare you more? But Doctors have to tell you all the risks that came with the operation, of course.

I didn't know that nail polish wasn't allowed, so when the nurse saw my painted nails she made me remove the index finger of both hands hahah. Woops, my bad! I don't think they actually had the retail nail polish remover, but probably the equivalent in solution form :O It didn't stink too much.

When I went in, the surgeon asked some basic questions, and I commented that I was really cold (slightly shivering) and when she took my hand to find my vein, she agreed.

"All your nerves are constricted!"

I did some hand exercises, she tapped my hand a few times, but nope, my nerves had dug themselves in real deep. But I think the surgeon sorta saw it? So she poked in. Yes it hurts but it wasn't THAT bad. (If you can survive brazilian/bikini waxing, this isn't so bad, seriously). The IV Drip didn't run. And there was a slight sensation where my butt felt pins and needles. Nurse said it might be because of the hot air.

After one nurse blew some hot air onto hands and I felt SLIGHTLY warmer, the surgeon tried again. This time it worked! Woopie.

 Surgeon asked me why there was a cut on my hand. I forgot why but now I remember! I scraped it against a locker -_-

By then, another nurse had clipped my index finger to for blood oxygen saturation measurement (it shoots out a light which measures the wavelength that shows how much oxygen there is in the blood)  and there were some sticky circular things stuck on my chest to measure my heartbeat.

That same nurse asked me to inhale some oxygen gas through a transparent, triangle shaped mask. I obliged. Think it was three seconds later and I fell asleep.

Woke up because someone shook me awake (I'm a light sleeper) and told me that the surgery was over. I gestured to the nurse to ask her what had happened, and she told me that I was in the recovery room where they will observe me for thirty minutes before sending me out. My face felt numb but my nose and throat felt raw. I remembered how a tube was through my nose so I didn't dare touch my face in case the tube was still on. It wasn't.

I was super sleepy, but the nurse kept shaking me a bit and telling me to stay awake as she measured my vital stats. I looked at my right hand, looked around the room, looked at the clock, tried to open my eyes, and somehow it worked. I was also SUPER cold. Like shivering even more, and the nurse had to bring me the hot air thing again.

Guess everything was fine so the nurse wheeled me (still on the bed) to the main visiting room. I was really drowsy but happy that it was over and that I felt no crazy pain. And that korilakkuma was with me (Yes I brought my bear, It makes a great bolster too)

As you can see, my cheeks are slighly swollen/puffy!
 An hour or so later, the nurse asked me to have some water, and swallowing was so hard. Then the numbness started to wear off so the nurse got me the painkiller tablets (x2) for me to swallow. It was tough. Firstly, my lips were numb so I didn't even know if the water or how much water was in my mouth. Secondly, I couldn't swallow really well. Thirdly, my throat was numb so I didn't even know if the pill went down. I had to try a few times, open my mouth so that the nurse could look in to see if it went down (it didn't until like five tries later) and there was once I actually GAGGED.

I think there was too much water in my mouth for me to swallow. So my body just did a gag reflex and churned out the water. So after the water dried up, I realised there was some blood in it (from the colour) and I felt really bad for whoever had to clean up after me.

The nurse put a gauze in my mouth "to absorb the saliva" but of course it was to make my wound stop bleeding. When she took out the gauze an hour or so later, it was... gross.

The funniest thing was that, I felt like I needed to use the restroom, but I was wondering why because I hadn't drank any water! Then I found out that the IV drip is kinda liquid so I kinda had water. Just not through my mouth. I was still quite weak when I got out of the bed. The nurse asked me if I wanted one of those portable toilet chairs. I vehemently denied. I almost fell on the way to the toilet.

A while later I also realised that there was no tube on my face and that my right nostril had crumbly blood bits. Must've been from the tube, and my friend says it's probably traumatic because during insertion can have injury! >_>

Stayed in the bed for about an hour longer, couldn't sleep because other people were making a lot of noise, but after that, I had a bit more water, changed my gauze and headed back.

Notice the stuff next to my bed. Diluted Ribena that I couldn't drink properly, water used to take my meds, me looking awkward because I was trying to swallow -_- Oh and that white stuff? Filled with blood hahah.

Dad drove me home, my tongue was still numb, lips have some sensation, I'm not sure if they're numb because the anaesthesia hasn't worn off yet or it's because of the impact to the nerve.

I also inspected my teeth, which the doctors generously returned to me. The top two are perfectly intact, there was no drilling at all, but the bottom two were in pieces. And had bits of gum/meat stuck to them. The roots also looked mighty tough and strong so I hope the dentist didn't have too much of a struggle.

Luckily mine was the first wisdom teeth extraction for the day :X There were two kids before me and they were screaming and crying it was so annoying.

I didn't want to pay a large amount for my surgery, so I actually went to the polyclinic's dental to have them refer me to NDC, hence I paid a subsidized rate and used some Medisave to cover it. Something you might want to consider. It saved me about 2k SGD but mine was still above 1k btw.

Thank you everyone for your wishes and prayers and lovely comments Love you all and I know you're awesome! To those who read my tweets/status updates but didn't bother saying anything.. well, God Bless you. To those who were so cute and asked me where I was staying so they could visit, you guys are true friends :')

To a speedy recovery! :) If you're having your wisdom teeth operation soon, good luck! If you've already done it, salute!

I am damn hungry though.

Read about my previous wisdom teeth consultation, explain my choice (why 4 and not 2?) below!

FIRST (and earliest), SECOND, and THIRD.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...